Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Top 6 Sentai Blue Warriors

Well, I did say about planning out the Top Ladies of Sentai (and later on would spread into Top Gentlemen of Sentai). However, if I post that, it would make this kind of post pointless. So let's just start with the breakdown of list based on color. First off, Blue.

Ah, Blue. My favorite color. Ever since I was a child, I basically love this color. It's something I can't express its words. But I'd say Sentai plays a big part in me liking blue. So, I'm going to count down my top 6 Blue Sentai Warriors. I'd usually go for 5 for this, but why six? Well, let's just say I've been watching Nostalgia Critic too much and am obliged to go one step beyond, just like him. So! Here's the countdown of my top 6 Blue Sentai warriors.

6. Akira/Blue Mask (Hikari Sentai Maskman)
Akira is the youngest of the Maskmen, which was never a problem for me. He balances out between a humorous mood-maker of the team, producing some of the funny moments of Maskman, as well as seriousness. I mean, when he turned into Unas, I was... SCARED like hell. The concept of your mood-maker suddenly betraying you and turning into your worst nightmare sounds really cold and he was really kicking the Maskmen's asses, though thank goodness he's back in the end. Overall, the combination factors of nostalgia, and how his actor could pull off a lot of great stunts as him won me over.


5. Ken Hoshikawa/Five Blue (Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman)

Well, from Akira, there's Ken, the second oldest between the Fivemen. I'd say that while he does have impulsive acts that would endanger the team, what makes him endearing that he'd make up for it, at cost of his life, if he realizes that it's wrong. Of course, who else could forget that he probably is the only one between the Fivemen (not sure between the franchise) who could destroy a monster of the week untransformed and bare-handed. That put him quite high in my list, which is #5.

4. Ryuunosuke Ikenami/Shinken Blue (Samurai Sentai Shinkenger)

Ah, Ryuunosuke. You hyperactive, overreacting kabuki samurai. Call me cruel, but I do kinda giggle on seeing some events where his overreacting-ness caused him trouble that is treated as humor. It lightens up the serious moments in Shinkenger (we also have Genta to do that, but this is about Blue). Still, despite all that, you realize that Takeru doesn't appoint second-in-commands at whims and at times, Ryuunosuke does show competence and seriousness that makes him worthy taking that place, which is why he's #4. A hyperactive foil to Takeru that shouldn't be messed with despite how the universe chews him out.

3. Youhei Hama/Blue Turbo (Kousoku Sentai Turboranger)

The 'trouble-making girl-chaser' from Turboranger. While I do agree with the trouble-making part, I think that Youhei just makes trouble once in awhile with the teachers. With his friends, he's one of the best you can get. Not to mention, his natural good look and how he usually treats women with courtesy makes him a natural chick-magnet. Of course, the universe seems quite bent to screw him over like Ryuunosuke, like that time when he got his face swapped and lost most of his admirers because a cowardly boy used his face, though he still puts up a strong front. Overall, despite most of his troubles, it's safe to say that Youhei is my favorite Turboranger and #3 on this list. Especially that one episode where he lost his possible love thanks to the Bouma (man, that was a sad episode). Sometimes, I kinda wish he'd be the one personally killing the killer of his possible love rather than Daichi, but hey, what can I say...

2. Saburou Aoyama/Goggle Blue (Dai Sentai Goggle V)

Well, this goes way back. I would say that Saburou was my first childhood fave. He was the reason why Blue is my favorite color to this day. Well, what can I say? He'd stick his head to protect those dear to him, and while that's pretty standard in the 80's, I'd say that the way he did it was very well done. Of course, anyone who can make a frigging hula hoop look like a bad ass weapon is always good. His evolution of strength is also quite a sight to behold, you can compare that at one point he horribly lost one on one against a monster, and then several episodes later, he could hold on his own one on one against more advanced monster (and in fact was owning). As I would expect from my old favorite. But for now, he's number #2, since as time passed, I found another favorite, but I will give Saburou this place as a remembrance that he was once one of my childhood heroes.

1. Hoji Tomasu/Deka Blue (Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger)

Yes, this is the guy who surpassed my childhood fave. Hoji provides action, drama and silly English speaking, coated with awesome. I'm just quite the sucker of a character who is calm, cool and develops from a jerk into someone really respectable, which sums quite about what Hoji is. While it's still a character of him to be high-and-mighty, you'll see it pretty much less as you watch Dekaranger more, revealing a kinder man man beneath it all. I also like most of the dramas that came from his focus episodes, the episode where he had to kill his possible lover's little brother was a powerful one. And yeah, I'm straight and I have to admit that he and Ban might get a bit... too close. But his other traits pretty much cover it. Thus, with quite a lot of development and his usually cool demeanor, it makes Hoji take the #1 spot of my Top 6 Blue Sentai warriors.

So there you have it, my top 6 Blue warriors of Super Sentai. Again, this is just a string of opinions, so don't rag on me if it clashed with yours. And forgive me if my writeups just sound too corny.

I'll see you later!

(P.S: Many thanks to the actors of these characters; Tsuyoshi Hayashi, Shigeki Ishii, Keiya Asakura, Hiroki Aiba, Kei Shindachiya and Issei/Kazunari Hirota; since these characters wouldn't be as awesome if they weren't played by you guys!)

(P.P.S: If you're asking who my current fave female blue ranger is, it's currently Ako Hayasaka/Blue Swallow. Opinion may change once I finished watching Liveman. Unfortunately for Ako, she's just... not high enough on my overall blue list.)

2 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, who is your favorite female Blue Ranger?

    (Yes, I know I'm using the term RANGER for the hero{in}es.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about it that Hoji I like him better than Sky in Power Rangers SPD with all the reasons you've typed. Hoji I don't find him that arrogant because he takes advice from other people even from Sen who can be WAY to weird at times. His only weakness had to be with Ban because he didn't believe Ban had room to change earlier on, but again that always happens when professionals clash with people like Ban in the workplace.

    ReplyDelete